Monday, February 18, 2008

Street Thread


It's not quite spring yet, but I'm just back from Las Vegas and the warm weather, coupled with the arrival of all and sundry resort wear in stores, has me yearning to do some spring cleaning. Not, of course, of my closet or car trunk; instead, I think I'm ready to approach my woefully neglected winter body. A brief laundry list was made...pedicure, exfoliation, bikini wax, etc and must be completed before Spring Break in a scant two weeks but first on the list are my horribly overgrown eyebrows.

I am a former waxing devotee but while in NYC a few summers ago I was introduced to the joys of threading. Threading is a traditional middle eastern hair removal method that relies on thread pulled taunt across areas with hair, then looped around and pulled to remove hairs with more precision than waxing but less time than plucking. From my first encounter with threading I have loved the Bollywood brows most threaders leave you with. The dramatic arches are a perfect frame to my face. However, any shape you desire can be achieved with less redness and irritation than hot wax smeared on and ripped off. This technique can also be used for other parts of the face, body, and even in conjunction with a bikini wax. Besides the amazing shape, the other advantage to this service is its typically low price in larger cities. My favorite New York threading salon on 24th and 5th charges all of $25 to service the entire face. With more and more experts and laymen whispering about a coming recession, prices like that will leave the wallet full for some serious spring shopping.

No comments: